I dabble in probability theory (statistical physics, random discrete structures, probabilistic analysis of algorithms), quantum information theory and reinforcement learning.
Previously, I spent 10 months as a PSIon in a physics institute surrounded by geese, working with Aukosh. I studied physics & CS (with a dash of math) in a few brutalist blocks in a snowy city, doing research with Luc, Louigi, Prakash and others. During that time, I also had the pleasure of working with great people from SUMS, McGill NeuroTech, the Classical Music Club and MSURJ.
Here are some relevant publications - for a complete list, see my Google Scholar.
- Brandenberger, A. M., Devroye, L., Goh, M.K. and Zhao, R. Y. Leaf multiplicity in a Bienaymé-Galton-Watson tree. Discrete Mathematics & Theoretical Computer Science 24:1 (2022).
- Addario-Berry, L., Brandenberger, A. M., Hamdan, J. and Kerriou, C. Universal height and width bounds for random trees. Electronic Journal of Probability 27: 1-24 (2022).
- Brandenberger, A. M., Devroye, L. and Reddad, T. The Horton-Strahler number of conditioned Galton-Watson trees. Electronic Journal of Probability 26: 1-29 (2021).
- Brandenberger, A. M., Devroye, L. and Goh, M. K. Root estimation in Galton-Watson trees. Random Structures & Algorithms 61: 520-542 (2022).
- Xiong, M., Hotter, R., Nadin, D., Patel, J., Tartakovsky, S., Wang, Y., Patel, H., Axon, C., Bosiljevac, H., Brandenberger, A. et. al. A low-cost, semi-autonomous wheelchair controlled by motor imagery and jaw muscle activation. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC), 2180-2185 (2019).
- Lie for Me, built in January 2021 with Diego and Gabriela. An animation of the orbits of Lie groups.
- In the Stars, built in January 2021 with Simon and Jacob for Hack the North. Letting the stars answer your burning questions, using GPT-3 and the live feed of a radio telescope.
- Donut Electrodynamics, built in November 2020 with Diego, Shereen, Maia and Gabriela. Simulating electrodynamics on a flat torus. Won 1st place at the McGill Physics Hackathon!
- Random Trees, built in summer 2020 with Diego Lopez. Animating the free tree structures of randomly generated Galton-Watson trees of various offspring distributions.
- MILO: the brain-controlled wheelchair, built in winter 2019 with McGill NeuroTech. "Students from different backgrounds — including biology, computer science, hardware engineering, data collection, and machine learning — got together on their free-time to start a project to challenge themselves and improve the world around them. By gathering EEG bio-signals from the brain, they were able to process the data in order to direct the wheelchair forward, left, right, and stop. Over the course of the development, the students were able to create a wheelchair without using motor controls – just the control of the user’s mind – further improved with impressive semi-autonomous enhancements."
For more samples of code written at 2am, see my GitHub.
Here are a few things I’ve written for various classes on topics that I thought were cool, feel free to check them out (or not)
- On the thermodynamic meaning of negative entropy. Survey paper written for COMP 480: Independent Studies in Computer Science, 18p (2020).
- Extending fluctuation dissipation relations to policy gradient methods in reinforcement learning. Project report for COMP 599: Mathematical Foundations of Machine Learning, 14p (2019).
- On the study of the topology, geometry, and second order properties of the loss surface of deep neural networks. Project report for COMP 598: Mathematical Foundations of Machine Learning (Statistical Learning Theory), 12p (2018).
An unordered and incomplete list of faves,
- Scripts. Charles Baudelaire, Emily Brontë, Ted Chiang, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Elena Ferrante, Ágota Kristóf, Ursula Le Guin, Patrick Ness, V.E. Schwab
- Scenes. Amadeus, 霸王别姬, 花样年华, The Wire, Amores Perros, The Prestige, Arrival, Chernobyl, Parasite, Queen's Gambit
- Sounds. Rachmaninov, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Ravel, Chopin, Radiohead, Lorde, Jacob Collier, King Princess
Vancouver, BC. Alex Iannantuono
Pisa, Italy. Daniela BreitmanSan Francisco, CA. Raffi Hotter Marley Xiong